Skip to main content

tv   Charlie Rose  PBS  October 19, 2012 12:00am-1:00am PDT

12:00 am
>> rose: welcome to the program. we begin this evening with the russian conductor valery gergiev. >> music is as a german tradition or italian opera tradition, very powerful in the world of music, there are three, four pillars, that keep basically all of this huge musical world and germany, italian, are very much developed as you know in 16th, 17th century but from 18th on, especially through the 19th and 20th as russian music was making a huge progress, and great composers coming out of the school, i am very proud and very honored to represent this tradition worldwide of course. >> rose: we conclude with the american writer, director and actor tyler perry, his new film is called "alex cross". i have always wanted to do these types of roles but never had the opportunity. i have never been offered
12:01 am
something that made sense or everything that was offered to me but was already in my wheelhouse. i don't need to play madea three, i kind of got that character already so i am looking for something very different and this intrigued me on so many levels because of that. >> rose: gergiev and perry, coming up. >> funding for charlie rose was provided by the following.
12:02 am
>> rose: additional funding provided by these funders. >> and by bloomberg, a provider of multimedia news and information services worldwide. captioning sponsored by rose communications from our studios in new york city, this is charlie rose. >> rose: valery gergiev is here, one of the world's most dynamic, admired and busiest conductors director of the treasured mariinsky theatre in russia, here he is performing tchaikovsky's fourth symphony with the orchestra.
12:03 am
>> rose: he is in new york to lead the world orchestra for peace in tribute to the late george schultz at carnegie hall and also conduct the london symphony orchestra in a series of concerts devoted to brams, i
12:04 am
am pleased to have him back at this table. welcome. >> thank you so much. >> rose: how did you come to take over this orchestra? >> it is an ensemble of absolute first class musician whose present good 40 or 50 countries, and these are countries in latin america, of course, north america, many, many from europe and quite many from asia, of course russia is there, also part of territory of soviet union, and i think it makes a very good statement every time for peace, for understanding between cultures, between nations, different religious, different historical background,. >> rose: how well did you know shulte. >> i didn't know him well i met him for the first time in moscow, 1990, the chicago orchestra was magnificent, two
12:05 am
or three concerts in moscow, i attended two at least i attended myself and then went to len grad, lenin grad, that was the first time w we met and then mae another 15, 20 times even in statement petersburg we made very good plans for 1999 for him to conduct queen of spades .. a grade opera of tchaikovsky, and everything looked incredibly exciting, but suddenly he passed away in 1997, and he died in the same day as princess diana. that is september of 1997, and then some maybe two months later, there was a discussion with me if the next concert of world orchestra of peace would take place in germany and if i can become the conductor for this orchestra and then there
12:06 am
were many, many visits, many continents which include, of course, china, russia, jerusalem, abu dubai, we also saw his great conductor next to each other, it is symbolic because nobody did more than master shulte and i could learn quite a lot, in my years in the beginning of my leadership in mariinsky's in st. petersburg, he was a great inspiration and patron and friend who supported me, especially in the belief i can stay in a difficult country and work with musical goals and i will always achieve what i want if i am focused and concentrated. >> stow made you believe that. has that turned out to be true. >> it did, in many, many ways. for example he knows that i
12:07 am
represent big tradition, you don't go away from the roots of your tradition, russian music as is often, german tradition or italian opera tradition very powerful in a world of music there are three, four pillars that keep basically all of this huge musical world, german, italian are famous to be very much developed as you know in 16th, 17th century, but from 17th, 18th and 19th and 20, as we know russian music was making huge progress and great composers coming out of this school, i am very proud and very honored to represent this tradition worldwide, of course. >> rose: which includes quite a big number of operas and symphonic repertoire i conducted in new york with many orchestras which include the metropolitan opera, and of course my orchestra. >> rose: i am admiring, admirer of hard work as you might imagine.
12:08 am
why do you work hard? >> yes. >> but so do you. why do you do it? >> i think at some point it is can i difficult to stop i think at one point because it is only hard work which could make it, so to say, to some quality and some level which i felt myself is what i wanted, and it started in the late eighties and then throughout the nineties i traveled a lot and i worked hard with orchestras in russia but also opened for myself many opportunities in the u.s., in canada, in europe. then i started to conduct only a few orchestras, but focused on it. so my first years in america, 20 orchestras, all top orchestras, my next five years, new york orchestras, metropolitan opera, for example, it is a big institution so we did -- i would easily say 25 operas, maybe, it is a big number.
12:09 am
it is less than jim levine but a big number. >> rose: glad to see him coming back, aren't you? >> absolutely, and what happens is when you focus, then you build. >> rose: right. >> if you look everywhere some of your energy you don't see how far it goes. >> rose: take a look at this, i did several interviews, there is one way back in 1993, december 2nd. here it is. >> tell me about the relationship between a conductor and his musicians. what is going on on a podium? >> look, it is basically it is -- i have a love affair or nothing. there is nothing between. musicians either like you or dislike you and i like them or don't like them.
12:10 am
the success on the chicago symphony was and is, yet it is a strange chemistry, the same elements that make music, that interest me from the very first notes on, basically, which i have a sense of power, a sense of movement, which i love, clarity, in other words, clarity. i don't like -- many people love it. i love clear music making. >> rose: great man, wasn't he? a great man. >> absolutely. one of the greatest colleagues and also one of the human beings you can always see as ambassadors in this world,
12:11 am
difficult worldcoming from difficult country, hungary before -- >> rose: exactly. >> and having jewish roots, being in switzerland, in germany and then in london and chicago, but. >> but always presenting this human message for life, for understanding, for peace, this is why this orchestra was born, it wasn't just a toy for us to conduct, all great orchestras, all great operas, symphonies already, he just made a statement he didn't want to continue only with think symphony, but take south korea and north korea and take japanese and chinese, take like in america, all have their own differences, we sometimes don't know it but we do have differences, in our world we have differences, it is not just one peaceful arab world, there are different. this is why music can unite. music is not total magic which will just bring peace together for all of the global space but it should be done as much as
12:12 am
often as possible. >> rose: and that is what this concert on friday night is about to make another statement,. > by the way in chicago and new york for the first time, it is a long story and 20 years and only the first time this orchestra is in new york and chicago. >> rose: is the mariinsky orchestra also coming out with a recording of the wagner cycle. >> yes as the major project and we already recorded value kerry, val kerry, it is going to be a major recording simply because it comes .. from great concert hall. mariinsky music hall. >> rose: the new one. >> we built it five years ago but it is definitely one of the greatest halls with acoustics you can have extraordinary sound, it is not just the construction, it is an instrument and the way we built it was to make only one
12:13 am
priority, create an instrument that sounds incredible, to make recordings in it and the hall, it is a dream, it is a dream come true, but also it is a luxury, because you have an orchestra, and voices who hear all of the colors that can produce immediately. it is very important for artists to know nothing will be lost and it has a tremendous cast. it will be out soon, for the presentation, but i am very much looking forward to finishing this project and we have best russians and best what you call western voices among them kaufman, nina stedman, of course major, major names which are known as wagner singers, but those are russian voices and i think it makes it altogether a great culmination. >> rose: is there something that would represent your great,
12:14 am
towering ambition and achievement in music? i mean, you have -- i mean, you have gone beyond a conductor, you do all of these things. i mean you now celebrate the 13th anniversary what is the anniversary, 25th? >> 25th of mariinsky, as music directorship, 35 which is a good distance, it is not a small distance. and that and the soviet union falling apart, i saw the russia being totally trying to do democracy but also trying to save whatever national wealth was -- it was very difficult to understand, was it just gas, oil? was it rivers and forests was, it is a huge, vast country and territory but also culture. i represent maybe such a group of people that talks every day, but represent a group of people which always remind everyone
12:15 am
that you as a culture, it is the biggest loss you have, of course natural resources, always people talk, oh, energy, of course, it is very important today for everyone in the world, what about culture? we think it is always important to have both. >> rose: yes. and your responsibility is for the culture? >> well, i do my best and i perform quite often. >> rose: so your friend vladimir putin, is he responsive to that? >> i think he supports, first i see him often, maybe three, four times a year, i have known him for 20 years, long before he was the president. >> rose: in st. petersburg. >> st. petersburg and i was already known them because i lead such an institution, mariinsky, in a way is a face of the country, so you get rather famous if you are on the top of the institutions, leadership you are present immediately a lot, even if you don't deserve it yet, you already represent 230 years of tradition, but the good
12:16 am
quality of today is he understands that the treasure of national culture and you don't take it -- just another icon. i think we are building a new opera house, it is important for us to have such an incredible opportunity, a platform where we perform open prarks ballet, symphonic music, educational projects will go up immediately because of all of the schools in st. petersburg it is a city of 5 million people, you perform the nutcracker, 20 times a year and perform 50 times a year each of those 50 nut crackers a year, you can devote 40 schools, as the huge opportunity. this is how you help young people to understand they are part of this tradition, because of course they have all of the toys and also but they will go
12:17 am
for the first time when they are eight or nine years old to see a magical theatre, most of them will come back. we know that. most of them will come back. it is much easier to start at age, nine, ten and then understand ballet, opera, theatre, music, rather than do it when you are 25, 30, for the first time. it is too late, maybe. >> rose: back to politics for a moment. when you look at russia today, is democracy, economic growth, human rights, press freedom, where do you think they are on those issues? >> i think for the country which has 20 years history, if you start from the breakup of the soviet union, things are looking better than they could in the scenario i saw myself 12 years ago, the country was disintegrate, because there was no unity, and we could see it,
12:18 am
we could feel it and historical role of putin and his colleagues, don't forget about the government he had, the names like kudrin or gres ring familiar, these are two ministers, minister of finance and minister of economy, who introduced this change, the economy started to work, and everyone thinks it is the oil prices, no. it is oil price, one element that is important, how government and how leadership of the country worked together in order to make rules and circumstances for the growth and also for young people to get jobs, for example, look at spain now. 50 percent of young people are unemployed. >> rose: that is the number. >> it is terrifying, yes. so how every second young professional doesn't know where he will work. so russia does maybe a little
12:19 am
bit better than average in europe. with human rights, well the stories hike -- get famous, they even get more famous than the killing of miners in south africa, which amazes me in the modern world. >> rose: but wait a minute, the story does get a lot of attention but i mean, even -- had some question about how long they should be in prison. >> oh, i think they should not even talk about seven years. it is ridiculous, i think -- >> rose: i mean your friend, the president can stop this in a second. >> well, i don't think first of all he is thinking of how to put the girls in prison in the first place. most of the people in russia were disguste with the fact they went to the biggest church. >> rose: in other words they didn't approve, one thing not to approve what they did, it was a satire about him, yes? >> i think i separate. it is not about him. it is about country. the country, because if it was only about one man then you
12:20 am
don't discuss a country because it is not a country whic which s total -- >> rose: so you are saying it is not an insult to vladimir putin but an insult to russia. >> to the people. >> rose: to do what they did in terms of the performance they performed. >> for example, saint paul and i perform sometimes in london. >> rose: you perform everywhere. >> that alone if you do something in a mosque like this, you get killed, so if you do it in the country like britain maybe at best you are just imprisoned, maybe they just tell you bravo, bravo, bravo, that was funny, go free. i don't think it will happen in other countries because there is pride in every nation and the big church in moscow at st. petersburg there are many churches destroyed throughout the 20th century by bolsheviks and i know citizens in russian where more than half, maybe three quarters of the church were completely destroyed, so it is a painful memory for the
12:21 am
people, now they are restored, many of them are restored, not all, many. and then comes someone not known to a large number of people, absolutely not known, not even one percent of the country knows yet they get more famous after this. this is the achievement. but -- >> rose: you think that was their motivation? >> for me itooks like a business plot. very soon they will start giving concerts and earn millions of dollars, but we all earn a lot of money, we are famous but not the which, the game they chose for themselves. i myself was disgusted. we have famous artists. olga, many. you sing, you damages, you conduct, you play piano, you get famous. but not through this scenario and the church i wouldn't touch myself i would never do this because it makes you feel --
12:22 am
>> rose: once they did it what should have happened to them? >> i think they should spend one or two years in the monastery somewhere and then they may be in a peaceful tradition, think, if they want to do something for the country they don't have to do it the way they did, but it is my private opinion i never followed in story, i was not interested. i only learned there was something happening when i was watching western -- i sometimes watch cnn, bc and it is getting. >> it is getting attention. >> it is a big story but i repeat, i saw in the same news shockingly 34 miners were killed by police in south africa, but very little attention so i thought, how come we get used to the deaths that we don't even stop, we just -- it is a line, it 54 killed but they were protested. >> rose: it got more attention than that, the miners. >> finally maybe, yes, but not
12:23 am
immediately. in any case i hope there will be much more peace that is why i am here and i think in russia, just to answer a very important question you asked me, i think russia needs now in the next five years, let's put a short distance of three, four, five years certain unity, the leadership of russia is a complicated thing, for example, my very good friend, ex-finance minister who spent 12 year as finance minister of russia, maybe being one of the best finance ministers in the world, doesn't even realize it is not necessarily coming from here or england, sometimes from other countries, they are very brilliant people here, he demonstrated. >> rose: he demonstrated what. >> the art of being leader in the financial world, especially when you have a big country and hundreds of deaths and in two, three, four years, countries in a much better shape, their
12:24 am
salaries went up, i repeat, a country does, has very little, you know russia today is blessed maybe with this comfortable situation that we don't have trillion in debt, today those trillions, in america, it is different, but someone at some point will be responsible and say it is not good to think that our children have to pay the price or grandchildren, this is not helpful, and kudrin is one of the most prominent figures in russia, by the way was always right of putin and looking at the financial situation and looking at problems everywhere in russia, very steadily, very quietly, without many, many interesting situations it became much better so the country is not the healthiest in the world, but i feel some what healthier than many or maybe even healthier than most. freedom of press, i think in
12:25 am
russia the commission complications are that press represents either public opinion but not all of it, or corporate interests very often, very, very often. this is dangerous, but so it is around the world. very powerful corporations, making huge money, they -- i don't think they make it a secret that they have to put the interests first, and a big part of the russian press will be somehow on their side somehow. this is what -- the biggest task, i think, for media in russia so to pay much more attention to those issues like i know scandinavian countries you cannot pollute the lakes and can not destroy their forests and cannot pollute their air, their drinking water is quite quality
12:26 am
because if it is not i will protest. >> rose: do you think russia should be doing more in terms of bringing some kind of stop to the violence in syria? >> i think the russia and u.s. should work together and the decisions which are made long ago still prevail. we are two worlds. >> rose: gorbachev. >> east -- west. >> gorbachev really was able to melt it down so there was a feeling of always coming together and never really did, although i know that yeltsin and then putin, i think they put quite an effort in making positions, bill clinton, and putin worked with george w. bush, but never really worked truly, i am observing it all the time, because then interests, maybe, maybe the culture difference, but today, russia is
12:27 am
so chose to pakistan, afghanistan, iran, iraq, yes, syria, not that close to libya, but egypt, but still quite close, and i think strategically it is maybe all in all a wrong moment to go totally apart and america goes this way and russia this way. and also strategically which is two different things. >> rose: the role russia plays in terms of withdrawal from afghanistan and other issues, thank you for coming. pleasure to see you. good luck friday night at the big concert.
12:28 am
12:29 am
i am fascinated by pain. >> he is ex-military, special forces. >> trying to make somebody hurt. >> wants somebody to pay, he wants the world to suffer. >> >> you are sick and twisted. >> dr. cross, you are taking this personally. >> by the way you have a very pretty wife. >> she looks stunning.
12:30 am
>> you heard his voice. i will go to hell before he lets me take the one i love from me. >> this is not one scenario you have thought of that he has not already figured out. >> i am going to send you to -- >> where would you be. >> he is already in the building. move! >> let me see your hands. >> come on, now, you can give me better than that. >> rose: i am pleased to have tyler perry back at this table.
12:31 am
welcome. >> thank you very much. >> rose: so you do not have enough to do? >> just enough. >> rose: there is "alex cross". >> yes. >> a character that the great morgan freeman made. >> yes. >> rose: so you in the full sense of your acting chops, you see where i am going? >> yes. i see exactly ar where you are going. that's the only thing that gave me pause in taking because morgan freeman played the role. >> and nelson mandela and very intimidated by that but what i know for sure as i looked at the character and looked at the script and looked at the arc of the character very intriguing and then i looked at james patterson's original description of the book, of the physicality of "alex cross" and i thought, hey, that is me. >> rose: and you look like alex cross as described by james patterson. >> as described by james patterson, the author, size, build, africa american, yes, so
12:32 am
it is something that inkreegd me. >> rose: i always thought i could play madea. >> that would be pretty funny. >> rose: i will have to work upon the voice a little bit. >> just a little bit. >> rose: tell me the story of alex cross and this could be not just one movie but two movies, three movies, it could be a tyler perry opportunity. >> who knows. it is actually the prequel before kiss the girls and along came the spider which morgan freeman did, this is going back in his life and showing the family and how it all started as he was a police officer in detroit and started working for the fbi and started tracking a serial killer, just a psychotic, insane person played by matthew fox brillantly, brilliantly. >> rose: menacingly. >> brilliantly, menacingly brilliant words and the story is tracking him and how they become mortal enemies and a battle ensues and things happen in the movie to have you on the edge of
12:33 am
the seat and a thrill never every sense of the word and nonstop from beginning to end. >> rose: is this not in terms of the acting required what you can do, is this in terms of what you want to do stretching and moving forward to a new place? >> i think that it is a stretching for absolutely in the acting but also to i always wanted to do these type of roles but never had the opportunity, i never have been offered something that made sense or everything offered to me was already in my wheelhouse. i don't need to play madea three, i kind of got that character already, so i am looking for something very different and this intrigued me on so many levels because of that. >> rose: this remind me of your story about at some point in your life where you were, you appreciated the benefitting of owning something. >> sure. >> rose: when your father was, was it your father that would go and build houses for someone else and sell and make all the profit. >> yes. >> rose: somehow if you own it you are better off. >> early on, i learned so much, i am such a student of life and learn so much just by watching
12:34 am
and looking at my father and how hard he worked and how happy he was when he got home on friday with his check of 700, 800, if he made $800 in the seventies, oh, big money. >> rose: that was okay with him. >> he was super excited about that and -- but i would look at him talk about the guy who owned the house and then i would notice that the guy sold the house and the this is me a little boy realizing this for ten times more than he made or 1,000 times more than he made, so it was all very interesting and such a lesson that took me a long way. >> rose: which brings my question, do you own in movie? >> i do not. listen, james patterson, i do not. i showed up here as work for hire. >> rose: a hired gun here. >> work for hire only done that twice in my theatrical career and one was star trek, a little cameo. >> rose: this is different too, it is said you are a master of understanding your auditient audience, your audience which madea and a lot of people served you may define that broader and deeper as and you understand it
12:35 am
better than anybody else does but this is a different audience audience, a thriller, a part yours and something the other characters haven't reached. >> i agree, it is, in part, my audience because what i know about my audience is we don't just like comedy we like some of everything, so definitely,. >> rose: and you don't dislike black movies. >> absolutely, absolutely. >> rose: whatever that means. >> whatever that means, that that is a good point, something well worth discussing but it is a thriller, and what i have noticed about my audience, at my core, my base has always been the same but it has changed a great deal outside of where it started and around the world, so it is very interesting, and very interesting to see what happens. >> rose: but my impression of you, in this remarkable arc and journey you have been on is that one thing has led to another. >> sure. >> rose: that there was, and you didn't sit down one morning while you were still living in that car. >> yes. >> and say i am going to do this and i am going to do this. >> yeah. >> rose: pretty soon i will be king of the mountain. >> no, no, no.
12:36 am
and i it was never about being king of the mountain it is what is the next step an there was always, this is how i -- this is what i talk about having a god voice, because there are things i cannot explain. charlie, there are things i cannot explain in my life. i exi can tell you there are very, very talented people all over that never get a chance but if everything doesn't line up, if one decision is made that is contradictory to where you are going it changes everything. so there is no other way for me to explain this. so i clearly understand what you are saying. no, it wasn't that, it was totally just the opportunity would come and i felt this is the way i should go. >> rose: so did this opportunity come to you or did you seek it out. >> it actually came to me. >> rose: so whoever was introducing the movie is it patterson or he owns the right. >> i am not sure if he is producing, but rob cone who did fast and furious who was thinking tyler perry, and my agent who called and said would you be interested in doing alex
12:37 am
-- cross, morgan freeman alex, cross, no, i am not interested at all. >> rose: how did you convince yourself. >> i read the script and going back to james patterson and his description of the character and looking at the fans of the books because more than anything the first meeting with james patterson i do not want to let the alex cross audience down, if i don't feel i can do this and i will tell you no and sat with it for a while and it felt right, it felt right. >> rose: what is this about you want to take over oprah's channel? >> yeah, that is not what you heard. (laughter.) >> you did not hear that at all. >> rose: come on. >> no, you did not hear that at all. >> rose: she will be mine. did you say that? >> no, no. that is the oprah winfrey network let me make that clear. >> rose: owned by tyler perry. >> no, no not tyler perry's network it is the oprah winfrey's network. >> rose: i heard wrong. >> you totally heard wrong, that was good, charlie, totally heard wrong, the partnership between us, i think, is very smart on so
12:38 am
many levels and we talked about it for a while but there was one thing we both are concerned about because friendship and business don't usually members and the friend nip is very important to both of us. i have gained a great deal of insight and self awareness from whom she has been over the years that she has been in my life and believe it or not i have been able to share a lot with her to help her do the same. >> rose: what have you done? let's not stop there. >> more than anything, i think being a friend to her. >> rose: yes. >> and being an ear to her, and just kind of being a mirror at times to just say, what do you think -- well, why do you feel that way or let's check in with that emotion, and it is so funny some of the things she will do when i do those things to her, is he is like, oh, you -- >> rose: if you are tyler perry you don't need to pay money for a medical doctor. he will answer all the questions you have to to know another career psychiatrist. >> we will pass, we will pass. but for me, just, again, the most important thing, and for
12:39 am
her was to keep making sure that the friend ship was not affected. >> rose: well she went just tough going, she talked to me about it, on cbs, you know, it didn't turn out exactly the way she wanted to kick start the oprah network and had to come together and say i have to focus which is really an answer, focus and you will find out that maybe -- which was good for her. >> i tell you what, it was really good for her to have that moment to sit in it and reflect and understand that, you know, challenges will shake things up. to right a few ways is okay, it was good for her and good for me because i was very close to doing a deal to having my own channel, at the same time and we are both going down this road and i am thinking i am watching her and see what he is going through, like, wait a minute, i -- we may want to team up. let me just sit with you for a while, let's steady your ship and take off on my ownership which is not owned. it will be tyler perry -- >> rose: oprah can own the
12:40 am
discovery network. >> we can talk about that. that will be a fight. yeah, that will be a fight. they have some bite in it. >> and a lot of channels over there. >> yes a lot of channel bloos so what is going to happen? how are you going to partner with oprah on this oprah network? >> i am starting with two television shows. >> rose: prime prime time. >> a sitcom and a drama is where we will start. >> rose: you have done that be before at tbs. >> yes. >> rose: did you break a contract with tbs. >> no, i have been a bit of a free agent, i have had enormous. >> rose: . bs? >> pbs, totally right i have had enormous success there and what i found about my audience is they will come and leave so i am hoping they come over to own and watch the show. >> rose: when they come and leave meaning they will come and go back to what? >> you know what it is? a lot of times when shows are on the air, there are faithful fans who turn on the show, tune in, watch it and then, you know, go to bed, put the kids down or whatever, this he will go on to whatever they do, so i am hoping that that same energy will
12:41 am
follow to own that, when the shows are on the air, everybody shows up, watching watches the shows and stays with the network and see what is going on there and continue to do that. >> rose: or come over here and watch me. >> or come over here and watch you, absolutely. >> rose: the relationship between the two of you, though, is really a powerful kind of sense of she made a difference in your life. >> yes. >> rose: first of all you were watching her and got some understanding from watching her about yourself. >> yes. >> rose: what you needed to do. >> yes. i was about 17 or 18 years old and it is cathartic, 17, 18-year-old a product of public schools in neural, new orleans, didn't know what cathartic meant, you find a dictionary and look it up, no internet at the time and i realized that what, you know the definition of cathartic and started writing and i started to feel better. >> rose: kept a diary. >> keeping a journal and what i did instead of using my name, because there was no privacy in the house i lived in, i used
12:42 am
different character's names because if somebody found it and read it i didn't know they were talking about a lot of things i experienced. >> rose: and it was a searing inside look at your own soul. >> yeah, yeah. really. really. and in a way that i had never done before, because i thought about it but having an opportunity to actually put it on paper, there is something about writing the words, reading them back and hearing them out loud said to yourself by yourself that is beyond powerful and that was a life changing moment for me. >> rose: did you have a writing gift? >> apparently i did, i did not know it and never been cultivated. >> rose: and nobody ever said anything to you. >> no. >> rose: in other words, nobody said you know how to use words? >> no. >> no, i didn't grow up in that kind of culture. i didn't grow up in a culture where there were teachers and people in the neighborhood or, our parents, our loved ones or family members that encouraged anything artistic, it was all about, my father was very much you go to work, you work in the
12:43 am
sun, you pick up things, you lift, you build, that's the way of a man, and anything else then that is not manly. >> rose: do you know why he abused? >> you know what? this is the most fascinating thing and such a great question because for many years i just dismissed it, but i statistic down a few years ago and found out some of his back story. he was -- he has a cities and his brother, he was two years old at the time and i think were found in a drainage canal in rural louisiana by a white man on a horse. he takes them to this woman named may who was 14 years old, whose father was, who was a former slave, very, very old man who was bedridden and she raised both of them and the way. >> rose: she is 14. >> she was 14 and raised my father and his brother and my aunt. and the way she taught them, if they did something wrong the way she punished them is put them in
12:44 am
potato sacks tied them in a tree and beat them so that's what he came from. that's all he knew. third grade education, and all he knew but to work by his hands and be tough and hard and not show any love or any emotion, things like that so it helped me to have a very clear understanding of who he is. >> rose: is that why you forgave him? >> absolutely, absolutely. but i had for given him long before i actually found out. >> rose: but that an expiation, to forgive him was a catharsis for you? >> absolutely and this is why i think people don't realize, which is so -- this is so important, for might be, especially for me and i didn't realize the power of it and didn't even understand it when you forgive people you free yourself, and that was so fascinating for me to find out. because i realized i wasn't -- once i forgave him truly i wasn't carrying the weight of it, because it really is something that sits inside of your spirit and soul like a weight and you don't even know it until you forgive it and let it go. >> rose: it is a part of the yad that when you hate it does
12:45 am
more damage to you than the person you hate. >> sure, absolutely it subscribes totally to that, yeah. >> rose: i mean, are you today, what is your mindset today? >> you know, i took eight weeks off this summer and really checked in with myself for the first time i which i had never done in my entire career and during that eight weeks i was really asking myself those questions, because once my mother died -- >> rose: how did you go about this? >> taking the time off? >> rose: no to ask yourself this question? >> what i found is when i am quiet, which i love to be quiet, i want to be in a place where there are more trees and people, i love to be quiet and not be distracted and i sat in the space, literally asking myself these questions, how do you feel? how do you feel about that and just keep writing things down about everything that bothered me and checked into the answers and i was surprised at some of them. but what i found more than anything is that i love what i am doing. i don't know how much longer i am going to keep up this pace but for right now when i get to the end of this life, life your friend who was 92.
12:46 am
>> rose: died friday. >> when i get to the end of this life i want to be exhausted and know that i got every thing that was put here for me. >> rose: can you imagine a place that you want to go that you say to yourself not now, for example? >> there are certain actor who want to play a certain role but they say not now. >> yes. >> rose: is there anyplace you say not now. >> yes, i have a script called the jazz man's blues about a jazz singer and holocaust survivor that become friends in new orleans, and he came over from europe during that time and they became -- >> rose: is he a musician? >> he is a manager, he would bring all of these -- the jewish guy is a manager who would bring all of these acts to europe to play, and the character bayou which is the character way tonight play was in the army at the time and they met there, and became friends and it is such a rich story, 15 years ago i wrote it and have not done it because it is not time yet. >> rose: do you have a drawer full of stories. >> i have a brain full of
12:47 am
stories, yeah. i had a storage bin in atlanta in 1992, when i was put out of the apartment and i put everything in the storage bin, couldn't poured to pay it, $300, the bill was 312-dollar and it was several months behind, and i lost every spiral journal, notebook that i had when they sold it all. yeah, so -- >> rose: did you remember? most of it? >> no, no, but it would have been so interesting for me to be able to see them and know where i was, you know, in 19 -- >> rose: everybody wants to write a memoir, are you ready to do that? >> not just yet, i am -- there is so much -- i was talking to -- there are two people on this earth that i wanted to meet. industry met everybody i wanted to heat with the exception of these two he people and one of them is oscar pestoria i love his story and norman lear and i got a chance to talk to him. >> rose: the television producer and creator of all in
12:48 am
the family and jeffersons. >> oh, just brilliant, brilliant guy who had this remarkable life. >> rose: he is like 90 something. >> yes, he is writing his memoirs and said he is at 600 pages a and only up to the 1980s and said it has been a great life and ends the conversation with to be continued which i thought was so fascinating, so there is a lot more to be continued. i am not ready yet at 43 i am starting to realize that because because what i don't want to happen is wake up and be 65 and realize i have missed all of those years working my way through it. >> rose: yeah. >> yeah. because it is really possible and because i have so much trauma in childhood i was always pulling myself down into the moment and know thousand float above things so i have all of these great moments in life i floated above so i am always pulling myself down and enjoy this moment, it is real, have a good time in it. >> rose: you have earned it. before you go let's take a look at a clip from alex cross gets a call from the serial killer, matthew fox, here it is. >> you are being disrespectful,
12:49 am
very disrespectful and i don't like that, and i am not at all -- i am a professional. >> dr. cross, you are taking this personally. >> it is amount as personal when you took him out of the building. >> that job i can finish on another day. >> but failing that, it would be difficult for a guy like you to finish yourself. with a wire under your fingernails. textbook psychology, dr. cross. seriously, textbook. by the way your wife looks stunning. >> rose: i want to see that movie. >> yeah. good, good. you should. good to see you. >> rose: tyler perry, back in
12:50 am
a moment, stay with us. with preview of tomorrow night's show, a conversation with j. can youly. >> how much trepidation did you have after you decided to put harry to bed? and deciding what you wanted to do and what you do what you inevitably wanted to do is write another book. >> that is a good question, because .. i had an idea right after finishing deathly hallow, so i was actually promoting deathly hallow in the states and i had the idea on a plane in the states. >> rose: on a plane is crucial. >> on a plane is crucial -- >> once on a plane, once on a train, so unique to keep me moving and then i get my ideas. >> there is always trepidation, i mean, i think that people
12:51 am
might be surprised to know i felt trepidation every time i produced a potter book, the weight of anxiety was not crushing but extraordinary and wonderful to have that weight of expectation. >> rose: on yourself. >> yes and with the expectations laterally of millions of fans all of whom are very invested in the story and want to see what they wanted to see and i knew where i was going and i had to put on mental blinkers a lot and say i know with a where i am going and not be influenced by this. so in a sense, it was liberating to leave that weight of expectation behind and know that i could just do what i wanted to do, it was very freeing, but i must say that i spent the first two-year working on the -- telling myself you don't even have to publish that, and you don't even have to publish this book and that was a way of bringing down my own awareness, that, you know, people -- it wasn't going to be what some people wanted it to be. because as we both know i could have kept writing harry potters forever, pretty much.
12:52 am
>> rose: and why didn't you? >> because i always envisioned it as a seven book series, i had enough plot for seven books, and when i always knew i would stop at seven, and i am not going to lie. it was heartbreaking in many way, because harry was with me through a very turbulent per od of my life and always a place i could go, you talk about readers being able to go there, it was a place i could go and to close the door was, it was like a death, but i knew that it was time to go and i have not regretted it. >> rose: other than all of the obvious things -- >> yes. >> rose: wealth -- >> yes, it changed my life, the most obvious thing clearly is utterly changed my life, it transformed my life situation, with they were a precarious, my daughter and i were in a precarious situation for a few years. but beyond that, it connects me, harry connected me to -- it just
12:53 am
has been a storyline through so much of my life so when i look back at the books, i can remember where i was when i wrote all of these 17 years i spent with those characters, 17 years. >> rose: but do you talk to them in some real sense? i mean -- >> the one that i miss the most beyond any character is dumbledore and he was a strange character i feel like i wrote him from somewhere in the back of my brain, he would say things i didn't think i believed but i would say, oh oh, yes that is te and he is an interesting character and that is true if i talked to any of them it would be dumbledore sovereignty you set out to write this new book and you knew it would be about adults, what else did you know after you had that inspiration on that plane? >> well, the germ of the idea was a council of action, a local council election that was subverted by teenagers which was a device to expose certain
12:54 am
secrets, yes, that was the basic idea, and i was excited by that idea, because it was going to give me an opportunity to explore a lot of things that are important to me, and things that obsess me frankly. >> rose: like? >> for example, i just talked about the fact that i was in a very precarious situation for a few year i was probably as poor as you can go without being homeless in the uk which is not to say friend and family didn't help me because they did, but, you know, it was tough, and. >> rose: and you were writing a book and had to depend on the government? >> well, yes, i did, although i was working part-time, the law at that time was you could earn up to a very small amount per week without forfeiting housing benefit which was the thing that was keeping us homed so i worked up to that amount, i had a clerical job in a church at one point, so i -- and then i was teaching, but we were still existing partly on benefits, i couldn't wholly support us and then the miracle happened.
12:55 am
harry buzz published and we really didn't look back after a few months. it changed my life. that period, that period of my life was a formative experience for me and it shaped my world view and it always will shape my world view. the experience of having been part of a mass of people who are very voiceless, the experience of being scapegoated and stigmatized because that was a political crime at that time, really has colored my world view in a sense and i don't thinkly ever lose it. i don't think i will ever lose it.
12:56 am
>> rose: funding for charlie rose has been provided by the coca-cola company, supporting this program since 2002. and american express. additional funding provided by these funders. and by bloomberg, a provider of multimedia news and information services worldwide. be more, pbs.
12:57 am
12:58 am
12:59 am
left
right